Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Broken Arm...And the Lost Tooth

On Monday, we were coming home from the park when Braden's bike caught the edge of the sidewalk and made him loose his balance and he crashed. But I didn't see it, just him on the grass with the bike laying across him (and what I didn't realize at the time was that his elbow hit the edge of the sidewalk). And the nice mom that I am (I should win mother-of-the-year for this little incident), made Braden get up and I kept telling him oh your okay. I even asked him if he could ride his bike home! What was I thinking?!!! But kids cry all the time and really when should you really take it serious! I knew it was bad when he laid on the couch, couldn't move his arm, he was drifting in and out of sleep, and it started swelling immediately. We ate dinner and then Jason took him to Instacare. They waited for almost 2 hours to even go back and then told us he needed to go to Primary Children's Hospital for surgery. Who would have guessed that he broke it that bad?!! I had no idea, but I don't know anything medical! Poor kid! Braden was most worried about missing FHE and The Voice and his BIG bowl of ice cream I promised him when he got home! Funny kid!
My sweet wonderful parents jumped in the car within 10 minutes of me calling and telling them what was going on and drove 2 hours to watch Kyden and Hayley so I could go with Jason and Braden. My awesome cousin and his wife came over for the 2 hours it took for my parents to get there so the kids could keep sleeping. I felt so bad for Braden! It's hard to see your kid in so much pain and not be able to do anything!
After surgery waiting for him to wake up. They didn't have to make any incisions, they somehow put a couple pins in his elbow. We'll go back in a week and get a hard cast put on.
He really was so super brave through it all. The nurses even told him he was brave and that made him feel pretty good about himself. He said it was kind of fun getting so much attention (until we were home and he needed lots of help doing everything and he couldn't play the WII)!
Headed after being up most of Monday night, we were ready to go home as soon as possible. Braden's surgery was Tuesday at 8:30 and we were able to leave by 2 p.m. which was nice. I'm just so grateful that everything went ok and that it wasn't worse. Being at Primary Children's made me realize how blessed I am to have healthy children. I was only there for a day and it was draining! I can't even imagine how hard it would be to have your child there for days, weeks, months... So hard!
Home at last! Braden had a couple new toys waiting for him when he got home so he was ready to play! So was Kyden!
And this is what we've been doing the last couple days...lounging on the couch and what you can't see is the tv--on all the time!! What else can the poor little man do? It could be a rough couple weeks at school. I had him try and trace some letters with his left hand and he erased everything he did because he wanted it to be perfect! At least it's his spring break this week and he doesn't have to miss any school!
And another big event took place last night, April 4th...Braden lost his FIRST tooth. It was super loose and Jason has been bugging him the last week or so to let him pull it out. Well, Jason finally had his way and pulled it out and Braden didn't even realize it was gone.


Odelsa said...

I'm so glad he is okay! You are the sweetest mom!!!

Taunya Spaulding said...

oh! that sounds painful! glad he's doing ok! :) what a tough boy!