Saturday, July 24, 2010

Million Mothers for Haiti

A couple months ago, Jason and I were invited to Hope for Haiti Dinner because he was a volunteer for the Utah Hospital Task Force that went to Haiti in January. It was a very neat experience and I’m so glad that it worked out for us to attend. They recognized the members of the Utah Hospital Task Force (UHTF) and had one member of each team (medical, translator, construction) talk about what it was like in Haiti. The nurse that spoke really touched me because she told about a Haitian mother that came to get help because she had a 9 month old nursing baby and was pregnant again. She wasn’t getting enough food so she couldn’t produce milk to feed her baby and there was NOTHING she could do about it. It made me so sad to realize how much I am blessed with and how little they have. I mean if any mother in America cannot produce milk or chooses not to, she can usually find the means to buy formula. That isn’t even an option there—nothing is. This nurse that spoke had to send this mother away because there was nothing she could do besides give her a granola bar and hope for the best. I feel so helpless when my boys want a SNACK and I don’t have anything—these children and adults go days, maybe weeks without so much as a spoonful of rice. It just makes me want to cry. They have never really had a hospital with a maternity center in Haiti, but at this dinner they announced the building of the American Hospital in Haiti which will include a Women’s Clinic and Pediatric Center. The man that put the UHTF together is amazing. Before the earthquake took place, he had no ties to Haiti but I guess he felt a pull to do something and ever since the UHTF came back, he has wanted to do more so he is pulling in all directions for this hospital. They also created the Million Mothers for Haiti— “We are strong because we have to be: A Million Mothers, a Million Strong” and they want to get a million mothers to donate $12 to go towards this Women’s clinic. I think it is such a wonderful opportunity to serve in such a small way. Or maybe I just feel tied to this because my husband loves the people of Haiti and we talk about hem all the time. Just go check it out at www.gifthaiti.org .They showed this incredible video at the dinner that I have been trying to download so that you could all watch it but its too big so if anyone knows how to shrink it, let me know! It’s worth seeing (although it may make you cry). One last thing, Elder Ballard was in attendance that evening also which was also a treat. (He walked right behind me and Jason didn't even say a word to me--I just kept gabbing away to some of the other women there--what a little stinker for not telling me. At least Jason redeemed himself later by being close enough to have us both shake his hand.) Elder Ballard gave a few remarks and the closing prayer. He said “May our efforts this evening be the beginning of a new era in our human compassion.” What a wonderful thing to hear from a servant of the Lord!




3 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

Hey! I have the same blog background! :) that's awesome that you guys got to go to the dinner! Way cool!

Cass said...

What a good reminder of how much we have. We are so blessed but don't even have a clue to how much. Thanks for sharing. Also you are off the hook I guess you do read to the end of my posts. I have had a few people who haven't and thought I was really posting a picture of my midsection. They must not know me very well. See you in like three days or so!

Elizabeth said...

That's so great that you can get passionate about what your husband loves. Good for you! Sounds like you had a great experience!